30 May 2015

Daddy Long-Legs


Don't you love this postcard? It was sent by Laura (the UK).

This sweet illustration is the cover of the epistolary novel Daddy Long-Legs (Be careful! The page in English of the Wikipedia contains a spoiler), by the American writer Jean Webster. The protagonist is a young girl who lives in an old-fashioned orphanage, and writes letters to her benefactor, a rich man whom she has never seen.

The novel was written in 1912. I read it as a teenager. I loved it at that time, but I don't remember exactly the details. In fact, I had forgotten about it until I received this postcard.

The funny fact about the postcard is that it arrived without stamps! (And the sender don't remember whether she stuck them).

2 comments:

  1. Wow blast from the past! I too enjoyed the book when I was around 12 years old :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.