28 January 2016

Your Own Postal Story

Postcard sent by Laura (UK). A favourite

Some blogs offer a sort of postal summary at the beginning of the year. For instance: how many postal items sent during the past year, which month was the more prolific... Or still more original: how many post offices they visited (Wait... 39 in a day!?!).

I cannot tell you how many mail items I sent, nor how much money I spent. I mean, I keep track of these things on a spreadsheet. But I do not want you to think I am wealthy, or crazy, or both.

However, I can offer some stats. I sent mail to 22 different countries during 2015, and I got mail from 21. But they are not always the same countries. For example, I received mail from Finland, but I did not sent any letter to this country. Ah, and I sent mail from 4 countries: Morocco, Spain, Greece and Belgium. I hope I will travel even more this year!

And there is a number that worries me the most: the number of items whose final destination I do not know. Ok, if you sent a big amount of mail, you cannot control if all of them arrive. Especially mail sent to companies, fan mail, contributions to mail art calls... But still, I consider the number is too big: there are 61 56 letters/postcards that I never knew any more. Did they arrive? Is the recipient still alive? Honestly, I prefer people who answer or, at least, let me know that me letter has arrived (even months later, even years later!).

What about you? Did you know/published your 2015 postal numbers? Let me know!

9 comments:

  1. I do not make stats about my mail....lost mail annoys me. German post seems to be very good, some of my inner-German mails got lost, even with tracking numbers.

    Bisous, Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'est dommage. Je n'ai jamais eu l'expérience d'une lettre recommandé égarée!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing, it is interesting, and wow, 22 countries!

    Also I didn't make stats. However, I could do so, as I usually write which mail I sent to / received from whom and when in an agenda. But that takes too much of my mail time :-)
    And yes, at least some of my mail must have been lost in mail, too. I consider it 'all in the game', but maybe I take it lightly because it doesn't occur that often (and on the other hand I must confess that I for some reasons am not always able to reply immediately (some people owe a reply since more than a year..).
    But 61 pieces of mail, that is an incredibly large amount! I would get mad and sad, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably most of these pieces of mail aren't really lost, and the recipient just forgot to say they arrived. I prefer to think that!


      There is also some mail that doesn't require any answer, and this also goes to the list of "out of sight".

      So this is not so bad, after all.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your activities. I keep a record of my mail art, outgoing, by giving each piece a number. I add the name of the recipient when I send. I keep no record of whether they were received. In the "old" days, I'd send mail with no return address. I didn't want people to think I required return mail. Now I add return address in case the recipient isn't at the address I used. I made 158 pieces of mail art in 2015, almost all have been sent out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact is that I send different kind of mail: letters to friends, postcards from holidays, mail art to mail art calls, etc. I expect answers to some of them, and some pieces, as I wrote above, do not require any answer.

      And I don't have mail art unsent. Every piece I made, I have a recipient in mind. They are not interchangeable!

      It's nice how different mail lovers, we have different "systems".

      Delete
  4. Jo em moc en números molt i molt més modestos, no entro a la categoria d'aficionada i sóc molt irregular. Ahir vaig enviar cinc cartes/postals/felicitacions i encabat puc estar mesos sense tocar la bústia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, sí:entres a la categoria d'aficionada! Amb una postal per any ja hi entres :D

      Delete
    2. Hahah aleshores, de sobres!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.