22 July 2016

(Approximation of) Pi Day Mail


Envelope sent by FinnBadger (the USA), with a special pictorial postmark that celebrates Pi Day. And, of course, this had to be accompanied by a round stamp!

Did you know that Pi Day was a thing? And it also exists the Pi Approximation Day, which happens to be today, since the fraction 227 is a common approximation of π.

Have you ever sent/received π-related mail? I have just read on the Wikipedia:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology has often mailed its application decision letters to prospective students for delivery on Pi Day.

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Pi Day and I like this idea (I like mathematics, too, although a lot of my maths knowledge has vanished in the years after school).

    In our part of the world Pi Day would have been one and half month later, as we write day-month-year instead of month-day-year. However, while I was happily thinking 'here it is 31-4-16 instead of 3-14-16' when I started to write this comment, I now realise that the 31st of April doesn't exist!... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever date to show this postmark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah els del MIT fan unes coses! Quina pensada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo també, però cada any llencen un piano daltabaix per provar la força de la gravetat. Tinc amics al MIT i Déu n'hi do, les coses que fan! :D

      Delete
    2. Cada any? No sabia que la gravetat canviés... :O

      Delete
    3. Quina ment més poc científica. :D Verifiquen que encara funcioni.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.