18 January 2013

Oldest Working Post Office in the World

I've recently learnt that the oldest working post office in the world, as recognized by the Universal Postal Union and the Guinness Book of Records, is located in Sanquhar (Scotland). It has been operating continuously for more than 300 years, since 1712.


The second oldest working post office is located in Stockholm (Sweden; 1720) and the third in Santiago (Chile, 1772).

I wonder how old is the post office I use regularly, but I am sure is not that old!

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting fact, Hawwa! I wouldn't imagine that the 3rd oldest post office is in America, as it's such a new continent. Now I would love to visit those old post offices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! when I travel I always visit some post offices, but I've never been to a 300 years old post office!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.